Skip to main
01446 794199 Request a call back

Can I claim for moped v e-scooter?

In June I was riding my moped to work in Cardiff. It was a single lane road in each direction with kerbs both sides and the speed limit was 30mph. I was probably doing about 25 to 30 mph. A kid on a scooter was on the kerb coming towards me on my side of the road. He lost control of the scooter and it went into the road in front of me. I tried to swerve to avoid it but I lost control, hit the kerb and came off. I had some quite nasty injuries and was off work for 5 weeks recovering. I wish to claim compensation and wonder if there is a body that can pay up like the MIB that you have mentioned before?

Andy Richards, by e-mail



The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) only compensates victims of negligent untraced or uninsured drivers of motor vehicles so unfortunately not. The other Government compensating body, the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA), is highly unlikely to compensate you as a “crime of violence” is required to have been committed in order to qualify for compensation.

I suggest that you see if you can claim against the parents’ household contents insurance. These policies often cover negligent acts of members of the household, even away from the home. Therefore I would write to the parents and enquire as to the existence of such insurance, assuming you have the contact details of the boy.



Ask the experts (MCN column PDF)

Talk to one of our Motorcycle Accident Claims Solicitors

For expert advice: