Skip to main
01446 794199 Request a call back

Can I claim for trauma

Two years ago a minibus sideswiped me, causing me to sustain multiple fractures and psychological issues. I was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder but the symptoms are now only minor luckily. My injuries have healed but I had to buy a car as I am too afraid to get back on a bike. This is costing me a lot more to run and as I am only just turned 30 this is going to be a huge amount of money over my lifetime – can I claim this?

Craig Miller, Stamford – by e-mail



I assume you have an ongoing personal injury claim against the minibus driver/his insurer. If so your solicitors should send you to a clinical psychologist. He/she will be able to determine whether or not you are suffering from a phobic anxiety disorder relating to the fear of returning to motorcycling. The expert will also be able to provide an opinion as to whether Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) would be of assistance in curing the fear. If CBT is recommended then to comply with your duty to mitigate your loss (keep to a reasonable minimum) you should try the suggested treatment.

If the expert feels therapy will not help, or you try it and it does not help, then you should claim for the increased costs of having to run a car rather than a bike. Considering your age this could amount to a very significant sum of money.



Ask the experts (MCN column PDF)

Talk to one of our Motorcycle Accident Claims Solicitors

For expert advice: