Skip to main
01446 794199 Request a call back

Solicitor will act for me but not my son

I had an accident two weeks ago. I was carrying my 15 year old son on the back when a van pulled out of a side road without looking. Fortunately I was able to swerve out of the way and there was nothing coming in the opposite direction. However we both hit the ground and we were both slightly injured. My son sprained his ankle and hurt his wrist. I have been given a lawyer to represent me but they won’t act for my son. They said something about recoverable costs. What is going on?

Michael Lamont, by e-mail



Acting for children in personal injury claims that involve minor injuries has become unprofitable in most cases because of the low fixed fees that these cases attract and because the court insists on “an infant settlement approval hearing” to approve the compensation which further reduces any fees a law firm would receive.

This is made worse as courts have been refusing to make a success fee payable by a child despite there being no such exclusion in the rules.

The net result is children involved in road traffic accidents who are not badly injured are finding it very hard to find a solicitor to take on the case and as such access to justice has been hampered.

Your son could wait until he is 18 to bring his claim because then he will be more likely to find legal representation. Obviously keep the evidence you have now.



Ask the experts (MCN column PDF)

Talk to one of our Motorcycle Accident Claims Solicitors

For expert advice: