Skip to main
01446 794199 Request a call back

Report is intrusive

I was knocked off my Tiger a year and a half ago and my compensation claim is ongoing. I was in the army for 10 years and was getting promoted fairly frequently. Due to my accident, I was medically discharged and I have recently started working in IT. I will now lose quite a bit of my army pension and this is being claimed by my solicitor. The insurance company on the other side is asking for a life expectancy report. Why should I agree to this?

Ralph, by e-mail



When we calculate future financial loss such as a claim for loss of pension we need to work out how long the Claimant is likely to survive. This is normally done by reference to a book of tables called the Ogden tables. This is a book that uses statistical data to provide what we call a multiplier – that is how many years we need to multiply the annual loss by. The tables take into account “everyday” health issues that the general population will encounter and so these tables are the starting point and should normally be used.

However, where someone has a pre-existing medical condition that is unrelated to the injuries sustained in the accident and which could have a material impact on life expectancy and the claim is of significant value, the court will often allow a life expectancy report to ensure a fair result. I don’t know your medical history and suggest you discuss this with your solicitor who will have access to your medical records.

Talk to one of our Motorcycle Accident Claims Solicitors

For expert advice: