Skip to main
01446 794199 Request a call back

Do I have a claim following husband’s accident?

Last year my husband had an accident when a van collided with his bike. My husband asked a bystander to call me and I went straight to the scene. I found it traumatic seeing my husband lying on the ground in obvious pain. I went with him in the ambulance to hospital and since then I have had flashbacks and cannot sleep and feel low. My sister says I may also be able to claim compensation – is she right?

Helena, by e-mail



You could potentially make a claim as what’s called a ‘secondary’ victim. Your husband is what is known as the primary victim. In order to succeed with such a claim you would need to satisfy the following test:

  1. You must have witnessed the shocking event or aftermath first hand;
  2. The shock must be a sudden assault on the your psychiatric system;
  3. You must be able to demonstrate a ‘close tie of love and affection’ towards the primary victim;
  4. It must be reasonable foreseeable that a person of ‘normal fortitude’ would have suffered psychiatric damage;
  5. You must have suffered from a recognised psychiatric condition.


It appears that you meet the criteria so, subject to a formal psychiatric diagnosis, your claim should succeed. I would get a solicitor involved and instruct a Consultant Psychiatrist to examine you and provide a report dealing with a diagnosis, causation (that the psychiatric injury resulted from the accident), available treatment and your prognosis.



Ask the experts (MCN column PDF)

Talk to one of our Motorcycle Accident Claims Solicitors

For expert advice: