Skip to main
01446 794199 Request a call back

Can I use old more powerful 125cc for CBT?

22 years ago I rode a fast 2 stroke 125cc on a CBT. Due to the way 2 strokes worked the majority had to be factory restricted. Now manufacturers only produce 4 stroke 125’s which can only reach 12-15hp at a struggle.
Coming back to motorcycling after a long time and getting a CBT, I looked for a 2 stroke bike of my youth. I am told I cannot ride my 125cc from the 80’s as although it was kicking out a legal 12hp, it could be taken to 22HP meaning it is no longer CBT-legal.
Are CBT riders confined to the slow 4-stroke tractor sounding 125ccs in this day and age, or can I brush the dust off my 2 stroke 125 and legally go for a spin on a CBT?

Pete Thompson, Northampton, by e-mail



The Government guidance states the following:-

“After you’ve completed CBT, you can ride a:

  • Moped if you’re 16 or over.
  • Motorcycle up to 125cc and with a power output of up to 11kW if you’re 17 or over.
  • You must use L plates (L or D plates in Wales).


You must pass your full moped or motorcycle test within 2 years, or you have to either take CBT again or stop riding.”

If the bike has a potential power output of 22HP (16.4 kW) then it exceeds the 11kW threshold. There is nothing to say that you could not use it in its current condition with the lower power output but it would become illegal if you chose to tinker with the bike and increase its power.



Ask the experts (MCN column PDF)

Talk to one of our Motorcycle Accident Claims Solicitors

For expert advice: