The 2016 accident figures for Wales have been released and the key points are as follows:
The total number of motorcyclist casualties on Welsh roads declined in 2016, when compared to 2015 figures (12 per cent decrease).
- There were 254 motorcyclist casualties that were killed or seriously injured (KSI) on Welsh roads. Of this 22 were fatal and 232 were seriously injured.
- 408 motorcyclist casualties were slightly injured.
Although motorcyclists accounted for just 0.7 per cent of traffic in Wales in 2016, they represent a far higher share of killed or seriously injured motor vehicle drivers (41 per cent).
- The majority of motorcyclists that were KSI (93 per cent) or slightly (92 per cent) injured were males.
- 46 per cent of motorcyclist casualties were under 30 and 54 per cent were aged 30 and over.
The vast majority of motorcyclist casualties on Welsh roads in 2016 occurred in fine weather conditions.
- 84 per cent of motorcyclist casualties occur in fine weather compared to 12 per cent of casualties occurring in rainy weather conditions.
- Less than 2 per cent of casualties occurred in other weather conditions (including fog/mist, snow or unknown conditions).